USA BOX OFFICE:
'Guardians of the Galaxy' opens to huge numbers, setting an August record, once occupied by 'The Bourne Ultimatum' ($69.3 million) back in 2007, showing that the Marvel brand is just as big as other brands like Pixar, for an example. The movies that debutted this weekend are in capitals.
1) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ($94.3m - opening weekend)
2) Lucy ($18.3m - 2nd weekend)
3) GET ON UP ($13.6m - opening weekend)
4) Hercules ($11m - 2nd weekend)
5) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ($8.7m - 4th weekend)
Source: Box Office Mojo
'Lucy' opens to big numbers as it is one of the highest openings this year for a non-sequel film, behind 'The LEGO Movie', with $4.7 million. Also worth noting, that 'Guardians of the Galaxy' had preview screenings, but they are not reported. The Marvel movie makes its official opening this Thursday.